Sunday, August 30, 2009

Armida in Amsterdam, day 1

It's a strange life we lead.  Yesterday, on the plane from Newark to Amsterdam, I was told to be on the lookout for my Armida as the administration here said she would be on the same flight.  I thought I spotted her before take-off, but I wasn't about to go asking.  What if it wasn't her?  Then I'd have only about 230 other people to choose from.  Anyway, I spotted her again in baggage claim.  It was a good guess.  After introductions and a reassurance I wasn't a stalker, we ( she, her fiancee and I) shared a car to our hotel.  This is rather normal in this life.  Meeting new people everywhere you go and working together as if you've known each other for years.  In some cases, you have known each other for years and the more I do this, the more times you see the same colleagues, which is really a blessing.  

So, to day 1...rehearsal day 1, that is.

This is always a somewhat tense day.  Especially if you don't know the people you are singing with.  Luckily today, everyone turned out to be quite good.  The only disappointment today was my performance.  It must have been jet-lag or something.  I just wasn't able to concentrate.  Even after three weeks at home of preparation, I felt like I was seeing the music for the first time.  I was embarrassed to say the least.  It's just not like me.  I'm always well prepared.  It's what I do...but not today.

Oh well, onward and upward.

Tomorrow, we begin rehearsals with the orchestra.  And at 9:45, no less.  I am not a morning singer.  

More tomorrow.  Time for bed.

All the best,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment